Known as the boating capital of Victoria, Paynesville is a great place for those just looking for a getaway by the water or to enjoy activities on and around the foreshore. Explore the lakes and canals or take the Raymond Island Ferry across the water to the home of a large koala population at Raymond Island. Walk or cycle the island's Koala Trail and spot the resident koala's, usually asleep in a gum tree....
Paynesville offers direct access to Lake King and Lake Victoria in the heart of the Gippsland Lakes. It's a great place for those just looking for a getaway by the water or to enjoy the summer activities on and around the foreshore. Join a cruise or tour, bring your own boat or hire one to explore the lakes and canals. Whether you wish to waterski or jet ski, sail, windsurf, kayaking or just take a leisurely walk, Paynesville has it all. Take a short drive to nearby Eagle Point and the world-renowned Mitchell River Silt Jetties. Canals wind their way through the town, where you can stay in accommodation with a private jetty at your door. Yachts and cruisers are available for hire for overnight stays.
With an array of cafes, restaurants and beautiful scenery all around, Paynesville, Raymond Island and Eagle Point are sure to delight all those who come to visit this magic part of East Gippsland.
Things to do
- Catch the Raymond Island Ferry across the lake. Take your car for a return fee, your bike or as a foot passenger for free, which is just a 5min trip.
- Hire a Surrey Bike from Ride the Koalas, and ride along the Koala Trail on Raymond Island. The trail is signed and is an enjoyable leisurely walk around the island. Remember to look up and spot the island's residents! Most will be asleep, but you might just spot one out for a walk. The walk/ride takes approx 20mins
- Pack a BBQ lunch and enjoy the local built picnic and BBQ area on Raymond Island with a very colourful kids playground. Perfect way to enjoy the day
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll around Paynesville, taking in the stunning views across the water. Watch out for the playful dolphins frolicking in the water
- Sunset Cove is the perfect spot to have a relaxing BBQ, picnic, swim and even to throw in a line. The ideal spot to enjoy the water and unwind for the day. There is a park for the kids with swings and a sandy spot to enjoy building sandcastles. Sunset Cove is also the start of a walking track that takes you along the water right to the end of Newlands Drive. Walk, run, take the dog or even ride your bike, this track is a must to walk or ride to see a beaufiful side of Paynesville
- Discover the magical Mitchell River Silt Jetties in Eagle Point, just 5 minutes from Paynesville. The longest in the world and a naturally formed bank, you can fish, swim or just walk and enjoy this natural beauty