The tranquil village of Metung has long been a favourite for holiday-makers. While the main activities involve boating and fishing, Metung is also known for its scenic walks, good local food, monthly farmers market and unique galleries with a coastal flair. Enjoy the scenic drive along the Tambo River into Metung and even stop to throw in a line.
Embark on a cruise aboard one of the many boats that travel between Metung and Lakes Entrance. learn how to sail or hire a boat and explore the lakes and waterways yourself. Yachts and cruisers are available for hire for overnight stays, allowing visitors to tie up in some of the protected creeks and jetties that abound in the Gippsland Lakes system (we recommend Riviera Nautic for all your boating adventures). The Metung Boardwalk offers a leisurely stroll around this charming village right along the foreshore, then find a cafe to sit and enjoy the view with a glass of local wine.
Things to do
- Enjoy a round of golf at the local golf course.
- Experience the popular Metung Pub (you will need to book to guarantee a table in the restaurant) and take in the water views.
- Play some tennis (ask at the Metung Visitor Information Centre – court hire is $10 per hour)
- Take a leisurely stroll around the town and enjoy the beautiful views
- Hire a boat and enjoy the natural waterways of this magnificent area with the local tour and boat hirer.
- If you want to enjoy the wonderfully fresh produce of the region, head along to the Metung Farmers Market which is held on the second Saturday of each month. Located on the Village Green in the centre of the Metung Village, the Farmers Market offers an array of local produce and goods.
- Fishing and swimming can be enjoyed right in town or along the Tambo River coming into Metung